Sure, you know you can check out books at the Hennepin County Library… but did you know you can also “check out” free tickets to museums and performance events?! We’ve uncovered all the secret perks that you can get with a Hennepin County Library card and we’ve got all the details below!
Here are a few reasons why I love the Hennepin County Library:
- Free Museum & Performance tickets
- Free energy meters
- Online Downloads
- and so much more!
Get FREE museum passes from the Hennepin County Library!
The Hennepin County Library participates in the smARTpass program. This program offers free and discounted tickets to museums and performances to public library patrons.
SmARTpass partners include:
- Bloomington Symphony Orchestry
- Classical Actors Ensemble
- Firefighters Hall & Museum
- Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies
- Hennepin History Museum
- Hennepin Theater Trust
- Illusion Theater
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Mu Performing Arts
- Park Square Theater
- Pillsbury House and Theater
- PRIME Productions
- Sandbox Theatre
- Stages Theatre Company
- SteppingStone Theatre
- The O’Shaughnessy at St. Catherine University
- The Rose Ensemble
- The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
- The Schubert Club
- The Singers
- The Southern Theater
- Theatre Coup d’Etat
- Theatre Pro Rata
- TU Dance
- Walking Shadow Theatre Company
Check out an energy meter and save money on electricity!
If you’re wondering why your power bill is so high, borrow an easy-to-use Power Check energy meter from the Hannepin County Library.
This device plugs into any standard 120-volt appliance and measures the energy consumption and cost of that appliance. These devices will help you identify appliances that consume excessive energy, determine the cost of your appliances, identify “energy vampires” that consume energy even when turned off and help you find ways to save money on your bill.
The kit includes a Power Check meter, home energy assessment instructions, worksheets, money-saving energy tips, and information about rebates and incentive programs.
Instructions are available in English, Hmong and Spanish.
Stream free movies, audio books, e-books and more!
- Download FREE legal music from Freegal!
- Stream FREE online videos
- Access free e-Books and audio books from Cloud Library, Biblioboard, One Click Digital, OverDrive, BookFLIX, TumbleBook Library and TumbleBook Library (Spanish).
- Access digital magazines with Zinio. You’ll find popular titles like Popular Science, Cosmopolitan, Martha Stewart, Every Day with Rachel Ray, National Geographic and so much more!
- Get FREE exclusive subscription databases including Academic Search, Amazing Animals of the World, Britannica Library, Chilton Auto Repair Guides, CollegeSource and more.
Learn new skills with online and offline library resources!
Expand your job-finding skills with help from the library’s online resources! The Hennepin County Library offers many different online employment tools to help you secure the job you want and need.
- You can browse listings, find interview tips and helpful resume guides at Job and Career Accelerator.
- Get live interview coaching, online resume help and build your skills in math, reading and writing with JobNow.
- Perfect your resume and cover letter, as well as your interview skills, at Optimal Resume.
Learn about patenting your next big idea with educational events at the Hannepin County Library. As the only Patent and Trademark Resource Center in Minnesota, the library has expert staff that can help you navigate the trademarking and patenting process.
Discover your family history with genealogy tools and subscription databases such as Ancestry.com, Fold3 History, Genealogy Connect and Heritage Quest.
Improve your typing skills with help from Typing Master Online’s free online typing course. This typing system includes games, drills and speed tests.
Get homework help in-person at the library during certain hours or free online homework help through BrainFuse.