A North Carolina food stamps card can do so much more than buy groceries and give you cash benefits. It can also be used for discounted admission, growing a garden and so much more! Check out all the awesome and unadvertised NC food stamps perks we’ve discovered!
Please note that the museums with green titles are Museums for All participants. These venues accept EBT cards from all 50 states, so you don’t have to be a NC resident to get these great deals!
Get museum admission discounts!
For your convenience, we’ve organized our free and discounted museum admission list alphabetically by city.
Blowing Rock Art & History Museum – FREE
BRAHM is located in the small village of Blowing Rock, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s goal is to promote the arts, history and heritage of the mountains through programs, exhibits and collections. You can browse their current exhibits by clicking here.
Children’s Playhouse – FREE Memberships
Located in the High Country, Children’s Playhouse provides engaging, interactive fun in all weather. Explore the Vet Clinic, Arts & Crafts studio, Meadow Room, kitchen, boulder wall and more!
The Children’s Playhouse says that they offer “free or half-price memberships to qualifying low-income families.” To qualify for a scholarship membership, you’ll need to visit the Playhouse or call 828-263-0011 between 12:30 pm and 3 pm.
Charlotte Nature Museum – $1 per person
Get close to nature with an adventure at Charlotte Nature Museum! Walk among butterflies, observe animals, get close to little critters or walk through a century-old forest on the nature trail. There’s always something to do at the nature museum!
This museum participates in the Welcome Program, which invites South Carolina AND North Carolina EBT or WIC recipients to visit certain museums for just $1 per person (up to 6 people). Just show your benefits card to the person at the admissions desk to receive your discount.
Guests who receive admission through this program will also be allowed to pay just $5 per vehicle for parking and purchase IMAX tickets for just $5 each. For more information, please click here.
Discovery Place – $1 per person
Discovery Place also participates in the Welcome Program! This museum invites families to explore science, technology and nature through interactive exhibits, learning labs, an aquarium and more. The Discovery Place is a multisensory, educational wonderland for visitors of all ages. This discount works for up to 6 people per EBT card!
…and here’s a great list of free museum days in Charlotte! Thanks, Charlotte on the Cheap!
Discovery Place KIDS – $1 per person
The Welcome Program works here, too! This museum is specifically designed to encourage children to explore their imaginations, learn social skills and develop confidence while they play. Be sure to check out the fun and exciting Learning Garden! This discount is available for up to 6 people per EBT card.
Discovery Place KIDS – $1 per person
The Welcome Program works here, too! This museum is specifically designed to encourage children to explore their imaginations, learn social skills and develop confidence while they play. Kids can create masterpieces, fix cars, be an inventor or a chef or a castle builder. Their imagination is the only limit at Discovery Place! This discount is available for up to 6 people per EBT card.
You may also qualify for this!
If you receive NC food stamps benefits, you may also be eligible for these great programs:
- Free fishing licenses are available to NC food stamps recipients. In fact, any North Carolina residents with a Medicaid, EBT, or Work First Family Assistance program letter can get a fishing license waiver. The waiver must be renewed every year. Learn more here.
- Reduced price spay and neuter services
- Free Internet
- Free cell phone & service
Did you know your NC food stamps card can also do this?!
It’s easy to be confused about what you can and can’t buy with your North Carolina EBT benefits. However, we’ve found some interesting items that we thought couldn’t be purchased with food stamps… yet they can!
- Farmer’s Markets and community supported agriculture (CSA) programs can accept EBT in North Carolina! Some will even double your money! Here’s some additional information about deals at certain farmer’s markets and CSAs.
- Starbucks! EBT can be used at Starbucks locations that are located inside a grocery store.
- Subway! EBT cards may be usable at Subway locations inside gas stations as long as the sandwich isn’t toasted. This isn’t always the case, but it has been possible on occasion.
- Schwan’s Trucks also accept EBT benefits. Order online, by phone or on the app. Please note that food stamps benefits will not cover the delivery charge. Make sure you can pay the delivery charge before you order! If you can’t pay the delivery charge, you will not be allowed to keep your order.
- Sam’s Club
- Papa Murphy’s
- Dollar Tree
You can also use your NC food stamps benefits to buy these items:
- Hot deli food that has been packaged and refrigerated
- Energy drinks that have a nutrition facts label
- Live lobsters & shellfish
- Bakery-decorated birthday cakes
- Gift baskets that include food items
Read more about this on the federal SNAP website.