Sure, you know you can check out books at the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative… but did you know you can get free admission to museums and use 3D printers there, too?! We’ve uncovered all the secret perks that you can get with a HCPLC library card and we’ve got all the details below!
Here are a few reasons why I love the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative:
- Hive Makerspace and Community Innovation Center
- WorkInTheFlow collaboration center
- Museum Passes
- Online Downloads
- and so much more!
The Most Amazing Makerspace is at the
John F. Germany Public Library!
You’ll never run out of things to do in the John F. Germany Public Library, although some of this equipment may also be available at other branches.
In the Hive Makerspace, you’ll find spacious work areas where you can make the most of some amazing and inventive tech equipment:
- 2 MakerBot Replicator 3D Printers
- Shapeoko 2 CNC milling machine
- Arduino Uno boards and accessories
- Little Bits Deluxe kits
- Raspberry Pi kits
- Soldering irons, glue guns and other hand tools
You can also take your creation over to the Robotics Center, where you can use the robotics test field, game field and two Lego League tables.
If you’re more into the digital arts, you’ll find the following treasures in the Recording Studio:
- Microphones, mixers and other audio equipment
- MIDI keyboards
- Studio headphones
- Canon Vixia HF R400 camera and tripod
- Green screen wall
- Adobe Creative Cloud software
- 27″ iMac with Apple apps (such as Garage Band and iMovie)
Do you prefer crafting without computers? No problem. In the Arts Center, you’ll find these:
- Singer sewing machines
- Embroidery machines
- Fabric cutters
- Vinyl cutters
- Knitting tools
- Other art supplies
This place is amazing! They’ve got 3D printers… they’ve got a Robotics Center… they’ve got a Recording Studio… They’ve got an Arts studio… I could spend a lifetime here!
Get FREE museum passes from the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative!
The Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative offers Discovery Passes to three local venues. These passes provide one-time admission to the venue. Only one pass may be checked out every seven days.
- Glazer Children’s Museum pass offers free admission for up to five people and a Discovery Kit (ask for one at the museum’s front desk). The library cardholder must be present and have photo ID for admission. There are over 170 fun interactive exhibits throughout the Children’s Museum, so plan to stay and play for a while! Children under 1 are free!
- Henry B. Plant Museum pass provides free admission for up to five people. Come see this fascinating museum that used to be a hotel belonging to railroad magnate Henry B. Plant. The original furnishings and world treasures from 1933 are still there! Children under 4 are free!
- Tampa Bay History Center pass provides free admission for up to four people (no more than two adults). This Smithsonian Institution Affiliate showcases 12,000 years of Florida history through interactive exhibits. Children under 4 are free!
Learn to play the Ukulele!
Check out a Ukelele kit and receive one soprano ukelele in a case, one tuner with a battery and an instructional book and DVD. There are 20 of these kits available for checkout. They were all donated by the Tampa Bay Ukelele Society.
Stream free movies, audio books, e-books and more!
- Stream FREE online movies, TV shows and videos from Overdrive. Hoopla, Films on Demand, Access Video and Mango Movies.
- Stream FREE music from Hoopla.
- Access free e-Books and audio books from Overdrive, Freading, Hoopla, Axis 360, MyON and Tumblebooks.
- Access digital newspapers with Zinio. You’ll find popular titles like Popular Science, Cosmopolitan, Martha Stewart, Every Day with Rachel Ray, National Geographic and so much more!
- Get FREE exclusive subscription databases from Academic File to World Cat!
Learn new skills with online and offline library resources!
Learn computer and software skills from Lynda.com. More than 1,900 online courses are available, covering topics from animation to programming and more!
Learn something new with Universal Class. There are over 500 classes to choose from. You’ll learn at your own pace while working with a real instructor. From Algebra to Yoga, there’s something for everyone!
Learn a new language with Mango Languages. Mango can instruct you in 20 world languages – and you can learn them all for free! You can also learn English as a Second Language online with this online basic ESL course!
Use genealogy databanks like Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, Family Search and more. Unfortunately, Ancestry.com can only be used in the library. The others can be used at home.
Prepare for the ACT, SAT, ASVAB and more with the courses, eBooks and practice tests available from Learning Express Library.
Get help at the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative!
Get homework help in-person at the library during certain hours or online anytime from Tutor.com!
Boost your business with a visit to the library. Stop by WorkInTheFLOW and network with other people who are interested in collaboration and coworking. Use a Media:Scape Collaborative Workstation to improve your business meetings and projects.
Improve your reading and English skills with a personal tutor. These classes are open to motivated adults in Hillsborough County who either read below a fifth grade reading level or don’t speak fluent English.
Receive materials by mail if you are a homebound Hillsborough County resident! When you enroll, you’ll select your preferences and reading interests. Every four weeks, you can receive a number of staff-selected books or titles you’ve requested via phone. Call (813) 273-3609 for more information.
File your taxes at the library with help from trained volunteers.