Get Help after Hurricane Harvey

(Last Updated On: September 22, 2017)

If you’re a victim of Hurricane Harvey, we’ve found resources to help you with everything from immediate shelter to long-term rebuilding. Our list includes free legal assistance, free online health care and so much more! (and if you know of anything we missed, please let us know!)

Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers… and please pass this information on to whomever may need it.

help for hurricane harvey victims houston tx

Be Safe!

If you are safe and well, you can register on the Red Cross Safe & Well website. Your loved ones can search this database to see that you are safe and well.

If you are missing a child, please call the National Center for Missing and Exploited children at (866) 908-9570.

Lost pets are being tracked by several Facebook groups, including Lost Dogs of Texas, Hurricane Harvey Lost & Found Pets (Coastal Bend), and Hurricane Harvey Pets – Lost & Found (Houston).

Find shelter!

You can find an open shelter near you by texting SHELTER and your zip code to 4FEMA (43362). You can also use the FEMA mobile app. The app can also help you share information and pictures with first responders, get survival/safety tips and more.

All Texas State Park campgrounds are free to hurricane evacuees. Please note that parks in coastal and south Texas are closed due to hurricane damage.

Shelters are being opened in Dallas, San Antonio, Austin and other nearby cities to assist those who are being flown out and evacuated from the flooded region.

You can also call 211 for information about shelters and other resources.

Get financial assistance and more from these government programs!

If you were affected by Hurricane Harvey, you can apply for assistance online or by calling FEMA at (800) 621-3362. You may qualify for help with up to $200,000 in home and property disaster loans, other housing assistance or assistance with other needs such as childcare, medical/dental expenses, transportation, funeral or burial costs.

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) makes it easier for you to buy  or rebuild a disaster-damaged home with 203(h) Mortgage Insurance for Disaster Victims and 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance for disaster victims.

You may be able to get money back from the IRS right now if you have damaged or lost property in a declared federal disaster area. This program, called the Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief Program for Individuals and Businesses, is managed by the US Department of the Treasury.

The Treasury also allows residents of a declared disaster area to redeem savings bonds early, before the end of the 12-month holding period. Get more info about the Savings Bond Redemption and Replacement Program here.

You may also qualify for free legal assistance from the US Department of Homeland Security’s Disaster Legal Services (DLS). This service provides help to low-income disaster survivors and can help with the following:

  • Insurance claims (including medical bills, loss of property, and loss of life)
  • Home repair contracts & contractors
  • Problems with landlords
  • New wills & Power of Attorney
  • Recovering legal papers lost during the disaster

The Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP), managed by the US Department of Agriculture, expands the food stamps program to those who suffered disaster-related losses. Even if you didn’t qualify for SNAP before, you may qualify for D-SNAP benefits if you’ve experienced one of the following expenses:

  • Home/business repairs
  • Temporary shelter expenses
  • Evacuation/relocation expenses
  • Home/business protection
  • Disaster-related personal injury expenses (including funeral expenses)
  • Clean-up expenses
  • Replacement of personal or household items expenses
  • Lost income (or no access to income) because of disaster

Agricultural producers may also be able to receive assistance from the Emergency Conservation Program, Livestock Forage Disaster Program, Livestock Idemnity Program, Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program and/or the Emergency Farm Loans Program. If you experienced losses of livestock, honeybees or farm-raised fish, you may qualify for this Emergency Assistance program from the USDA.  Orchardists and nursery tree growers may be eligible for assistance from the Tree Assistance Program.

If your home was damaged, you may be worried about what comes next. Click here for help after Harvey or call (800) 252-3439 to reach the Insurance Consumer Help Line.

You may be able to get other types of help, also. 

Click here to find detailed instructions about how to replace your lost or destroyed vital documents, including IDs, birth certificates, passports and more.

RoweDocs is offering FREE online healthcare services from RoweDocs! On August 27, they posted on their Facebook page that FREE medical advice was available to anyone impacted by Hurricane Harvey.

SpareFoot is offering free storage for Harvey Victims.  Reserve your storage space online and follow these instructions for reimbursement.

TekDry is helping those with wet cellphones and other devices. The company is sending representatives to the shelters to help with wet devices. For location and assistance updates, follow@TekDry on Twitter or call (720) 625-1984.

Drive Savers Data Recovery is offering free data recovery services to anyone who lost files in Hurricane Harvey.

Get help if your job or business has been affected!

Business owners can call (512) 637-7714 for information and assistance from the Texas Association of Business. They are working on assembling grants, Business Disaster Loans, and resource centers to assist business owners who were harmed by Hurricane Harvey, according to this CNBC interview with TAB CEO Jeff Moseley. 

Employers are not allowed to fire or discriminate against employees who are under emergency evacuation orders. Any employer that does this must reinstate the employee and are liable for any loss of wages. There are very few exceptions.

Anyone who loses their job because of the hurricane may be eligible for unemployment benefits through the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program. This program provides unemployment benefits to those who lose their jobs or self-employment (or are no longer working) as a direct result of the major disaster.

If you’re involved with the Department of Education, you can contact the department at (844) 348-4082 or [email protected] for information and relief from Department-based administrative requirements.

Please be careful if you travel!

Avoid flooded streets with this helpful Google map. Remember, it is advised that you stay out of your cars because that can put your life in danger. Since emergency resources are in such high demand, it’s best not to put yourself at additional risk.

Get more help in Texas!


  1. Sarah K September 12, 2017
    • Nicole September 13, 2017
    • Nicole September 13, 2017
    • Nicole September 22, 2017
  2. All comments must be approved before they are published.

    We have enacted a 100% moderation policy, effective immediately. Any comments that are hateful, derogatory or intended to harm will not be approved. For your safety, we may edit your comment to remove any personal contact information (such as a phone number or address) before publishing the comment.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.