Since Netflix is one of the most popular television and movie streaming platforms on the planet, it’s no wonder why so many people are asking the same question: is there a Netflix EBT discount? The short answer is no; Netflix does not offer any kind of official discount for EBT cardholders. This means that, even if you use your EBT card for a Netflix subscription, you can expect to pay the full price.
- Advertisements -
However, there are still plenty of ways for you to save on the costs of your favorite streaming platforms. In today’s guide, we will go over some of the easiest ways to get Netflix discounts, as well as some other ways to save on streaming platform premiums with your EBT card. So, let’s get started!
Does Netflix offer any discounts?
While Netflix almost never offers official discounts or promotions, there are ways for just about anyone — including EBT cardholders — to save on the cost of a Netflix subscription. Here are a few of the easiest ways to do so:
- Discounted or Wholesale Gift Cards — Gift cards offer an easy way to get a small reduction in price for some of your favorite products and services. Fortunately, Netflix is no exception. You can currently buy a Netflix subscription through the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores. Both of these applications offer their own in-house gift cards, which can often be bought online (or at physical retailers like Costco) at a 5%-10% discount. While this does not offer you huge savings, it will shave off a few dollars from your annual Netflix bill.
- Look for Promo Codes — Tons of third-party companies and websites offer promotional codes for a wide range of services — including Netflix. While there are thousands of promo code websites out there, one of the best places for discounted Netflix subscriptions is Giving Assistant. Not only could you get up to 6 months of Netflix for free, but Giving Assistant also makes it easy for you to give a portion of your savings to a nonprofit organization of your choice!
- Choose a Cheaper Netflix Package — Though this is not technically a “discount,” it is one of the easiest ways to cut down on the costs of a Netflix subscription. Currently, Netflix offers three subscription tiers: Basic, Standard, and Premium. Naturally, the Basic tier is the most cost-effective option at $8.99 per month (as of 2021). However, there’s also a separate tier for people who only want to get DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs sent to their homes (as opposed to streaming content online). This plan costs just $7.99 per month. You can learn more about signing up for a non-streaming plan right here.
Do other streaming services offer EBT discounts?
As you probably know, there are a lot of different streaming platforms out there. While Netflix is one of the most well-known streaming companies, there are several other equally popular options. For example, DisneyPlus, HBOMax, Hulu, and Amazon Prime are some of Netflix’s largest competitors. Each of these platforms offers unique content and streaming experiences.
Like Netflix, discounts among the major streaming platforms don’t come around very often. However, both DisneyPlus and Hulu offer a bundling discount that is hard to pass up. If you’re willing to bundle DisneyPlus, Hulu, and ESPN-Plus, you can get all three services for just $12.99 per month. If you were to get each service individually, you would have to spend roughly $21 per month (as of 2021). Therefore, bundling could save you nearly 40% on your monthly premiums.
You can also take advantage of various cable, satellite, and phone bundling options to get your favorite streaming platforms for free (or at a discount). For example, if you sign up for a qualifying AT&T Unlimited phone plan, you can get HBOMax free of charge. Additionally, you can get some kind of free trial or discounted service on various streaming platforms by getting your phone plan through any of the following providers:
- Sponsored Links -
- Metro by T-Mobile
When it comes to large tech companies, Amazon is one of the best for EBT cardholders. If you currently qualify and receive benefits through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), you can sign up for Amazon Fresh at no additional charge. Amazon Fresh will make it easier to get groceries delivered right to your door.
Alternatively, any EBT cardholder can qualify for up to 50% off of an Amazon Prime streaming subscription. As of 2021, the standard price for an Amazon Prime subscription is $12.99 per month. So, if you have an EBT card, you can gain access to all of the same television series and movies for just $6.50 per month. To learn more about signing up for Amazon Prime with the EBT discount, check out this link.
As an added bonus, Amazon Prime partners with several other government programs designed to help low-income families make ends meet. While you cannot combine more than one promotional discount, you could still get up to 50% off of your Amazon Prime subscription — even if you don’t have an EBT card at the moment. Here is a list of all the programs that could qualify you for a 50% Amazon Prime discount:
- Supplemental Insurance Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Direct Express (DE)
- Economic Impact Payment (EIP) Card
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
The Bottom Line
So, is there a Netflix EBT discount? Unfortunately, the short answer is no. Since the debut of the popular streaming platform, Netflix has not offered any special discounts or promotions for EBT holders. In fact, the company provides very few official ways to get discounts on its services for anyone.
That said, there are ways to save on Netflix and other streaming platforms by taking advantage of gift cards, bundling options, and low-cost plans. Additionally, Amazon Prime makes it easy for EBT cardholders and welfare recipients to enjoy its service for a fraction of the standard price.