Skip to Content

Arkansas Legal Aid: Here are all your options.

Arkansas Legal Aid: Here are all your options.

Need free Arkansas legal aid? We’ve found resources that can help. Whether you need advice or full court representation, we’ve found several agencies that can help!

Need legal aid in another state? Click here!

Use SoloSuit to file an answer!

Have you heard of SoloSuit? This easy-to-use program can help you create an official Answer if you’ve been sued. Although the basic service is free, you can pay a little extra to have them file the paperwork with the Court and the Plaintiff. I have used this service myself and I highly recommend it. Get started here. 

How can I get low income Arkansas legal aid?

There are several different agencies that can assist you, depending on your specific legal needs. In order to find the best one, please carefully review all the descriptions below.

There are many agencies that offer Arkansas legal aid for low income individuals and families. Each one has different eligibility requirements, so be sure to read these descriptions carefully!

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) 

The ACLU organization focuses on the protection of freedom throughout the United States. They have staffed affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington DC and Puerto Rico. In order to find the ACLU office near you, click here.

Center for Arkansas Legal Services

If you need help, then the Center for Arkansas Legal Services may be able to assist you! This agency helps low income Arkansas residents who meet income and asset limits.

Their ability to help you may depend on the type of legal problem you’re experiencing. They prioritize service for basic needs such as housing, income, medical care and family safety. It is important to realize that they do not assist with criminal cases except for criminal eviction and record expungement.

This agency assists people in Arkansas, Ashley, Bradley, Calhoun, Chicot, Clark, Cleveland, Columbia, Conway, Crawford, Dallas, Desha, Drew, Faulkner, Franklin, Garland, Hempstead, Hot Springs, Howard, Jefferson, Johnson, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little River, Logan, Lonoke, Miller, Montgomery, Nevada, Ouachita, Perry, Pike, Polk, Prarie, Pulaski, Saline, Sevier, Union and White counties.

In order to apply for services, you can call the HelpLine at (800) 952-9243 or apply online by clicking here. You will need to know your name, address and county. You will also be asked for the name of the person or business that is causing your legal problem, the sources of all your income, the amount you get from each source and the total amount of money in all your bank accounts.

Legal Aid of Arkansas

Depending on what your legal needs are, you may qualify for assistance from Legal Aid of Arkansas. This agency focuses on cases that involve safe and affordable housing, domestic violence protection, economic justice and consumer rights. They do not assist with any criminal matters or traffic tickets.

What you will receive will depend on your situation and the details of your case. They may provide free legal advice over the phone. They may provide a brief service, such as form completion, referral to other attorneys or even full representation. It all depends on your specific case.

In order to qualify for assistance from Legal Aid of Arkansas, you will need to have a total income that is equal to or less than 125% of the Federal Poverty Level. They do not include SNAP benefits, housing vouchers, tax refunds, gifts, insurance payment, or other non-cash benefits as income.

This agency assists people in Baxter, Benton, Boone, Carroll, Clay, Cleburne, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Fulton, Greene, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Lawrence, Lee, Madison, Marion, Mississippi, Monroe, Newton, Phillips, Poinsett, Randolph, St. Francis, Searcy, Sharp, Stone, Van Buren, Washington and Woodruff areas.

There are several subdivisions and affiliates of these agencies.

Unlike other states, the Arkansas legal aid system is very complicated and intertwined. Although we’ve found extensive lists of agencies in other states, it appears that most of the Arkansas legal aid clinics are affiliated and coordinated through the primary agencies listed above. However, we’ve listed their affiliates here just in case this information may be helpful to some of you.

Arkansas Volunteer Lawyers for the Elderly (AVLE)

Affiliated with Legal Aid of Arkansas, AVLE provides free legal assistance to eligible seniors in Arkansas.

They serve 31 counties throughout the north and eastern parts of the state. Specifically, they serve residents in BentonBoone, Carroll, Clay, Craighead, Cleburne, Crittenden, Cross, Fulton, Green, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Lawrence, Lee, Madison, Marion, Mississippi, Monroe, Newton, Phillips, Poinsett, Randolph, St. Francis, Searcy, Sharp, Stone, Van Buren, Washington and Woodruff counties.

In order to receive assistance through this program, you will need to contact Legal Aid of Arkansas.

Equal Access to Justice Panel (EAJP)

This agency is also affiliated with Legal Aid of Arkansas.

Equal Access to Justice Panel (EAJP) serves residents in Baxter, Benton, Boone, Carroll, Clay, Craighead, Cleburne, Crittenden, Cross, Fulton, Green, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Lawrence, Lee, Madison, Marion, Mississippi, Monroe, Newton, Phillips, Poinsett, Randolph, St. Francis, Searcy, Sharp, Stone, Van Buren, Washington and Woodruff counties.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC)

Taxpayers who speak English as a second language (ESL) or are low income may be able to receive help from LITC. This agency provides information about taxpayer rights and may even provide pro bono representation in tax disputes with the IRS. They may assist with tax levy actions, collection alternatives and more. On their website, they claim to help taxpayers avoid $1,000,000 in federal tax each year!

It is important to realize that they do not prepare current year tax returns. Instead, they encourage you to use Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) centers.

River Valley Volunteer Attorney Project (VAP)

The VAP service, coordinated through Arkansas Legal Services, serves nine counties in North Arkansas: Crawford, Conway, Franklin, Johnson, Logan, Pope, Scott, Sebastian and Yell.

Volunteer Organization of Center for Arkansas Legal Services (VOCALS)

This agency, which is obviously affiliated with Center for Arkansas Legal Services, serves 35 counties in central and south Arkansas. Specifically, they serve residents of Arkansas, Ashley, Bradley, Calhoun, Chicot, Clark, Cleveland, Columbia, Dallas, Desha, Drew, Faulkner, Garland, Grant, Hempstead, Hot Spring, Howard, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little River, Lonoke, Miller, Montgomery, Nevada, Ouachita, Perry, Pike, Polk, Prairie, Pulaski, Saline, Sevier, Union, and White counties.

Where else can I find legal aid in Arkansas?

If you’re not necessarily low income, you can still receive free and reduced-cost legal services if you qualify for one of these programs!

Arkansas Army National Guard Office of Legal Assistance (Soldiers, retirees and dependents only)

Soldiers, retirees and their dependents may be able to receive free legal advice and document preparation assistance from the Arkansas Army National Guard Office of Legal Assistance!

This office can help you with many legal things. Among other things, this office may provide free legal counsel, draft letters, notary services, negotiations, explanations of legal documents and referrals to other attorneys. They can also provide free wills and powers of attorney. They can help you with estate issues, family matters, consumer issues, landlord-tenant issues, real estate matters and more. However, this office will not provide representation in civilian courts or give advice concerning income producing activities.

The office is open on weekdays between 7 am and 3 pm for consultations. On their website, they strongly encourage clients to make an appointment by calling (501) 212-5040.

Disability Rights Arkansas (disabled persons only)

This organization provides legal advocacy and representation for disabled people who are facing legal challenges that are directly related to their disability. Due to limited resources, they are very selective about the cases they take. They will only assist with matters that are directly related to your disability, such as discrimination.

Disability Rights Arkansas will not assist with disability benefit applications, public assistance benefit applications, or criminal cases. In addition, they do not assist with any family law, estate planning, consumer rights cases, or criminal proceedings. They also do not assist with guardianship, tax issues or workers compensation.

Wills for Heroes (First Responders & Spouses Only)

This is one of my favorite programs that offer legal aid in Arkansas! This service provides a free estate plan to first responders. They specifically serve police officers, firefighters and emergency health care workers. You can see upcoming events here.

Don’t qualify for legal aid in Arkansas? Try this!

If you need Arkansas legal aid, then the first thing you should do is call (800) 9-LAW-AID. This line can help you connect with low income legal aid serves throughout the state.

However, you may also be able to receive assistance from Schmidt Law Firm in Cabot, Arkansas. According to their website, they are willing to sit down and talk, free of charge, to any potential client. Just call (501) 843-7576 to talk to an attorney or schedule a free in-person consultation. The consultation is absolutely free and there’s no obligation.

We have received tremendous help in our area from attorneys that offer free consultations. You can always check for attorneys that offer free 30 minute consultations near you!

Need more help in Arkansas?

Nicole leads the Low Income Relief team with over 20 years of professional research and writing experience. Nicole started Low Income Relief after a personal experience with poverty. When her husband was medically discharged from the US Army, their family experienced tremendous financial hardship. Nicole was able to gather help from multiple community agencies and move into a nearby low income housing unit in just two weeks! Since then, Nicole has been dedicated to helping low income families in crisis. She regularly spends hundreds of hours combing through countless resources to make sure that Low Income Relief has the most comprehensive and complete resource directories on the internet today. Prior to starting Low Income Relief, Nicole worked as a novelist, journalist, ghostwriter and content creator. Her work has been featured in various print and online publications, including USA Today, eHow, Livestrong, Legal Beagle, The Daily Herald, The Chronicle and more.

Sharon Cooper

Wednesday 28th of October 2020

I have been told that I need to move from my office space that I have occupied and that I have paid rent on time for, for the past 3 months. I am sub-leasing 3800 S Caraway Ste 19/21 Jonesboro, AR. I sublet from the former occupant who is a licensed Realtor. The SUB-letter/Realtor, Tommy and I have texted and emailed back and forth and he has emailed several versions of the lease for me to sign electronically. I never did because he kept leaving important information out all while apologizing saying he would remedy it when I pointed out the mistakes. I have this all documented via texts and emails. (This went on from Aug 6 to Sept 30th) This came about because he wanted to move to a bigger office but still had 10 months left on his lease here. He enticed me to lease from him by offering to lease to me for $450 and he would pay an additional $500 to the landlord till his lease ended on May 31 2021. I agreed. He stated that he was going to have to pay for this office anyway for 10 more months so I would be helping him out. And that he wanted to move quickly before someone else rented the office that he wanted. He also knew that I had to move quickly because I had been renting an office space for $450 per month within a building that just sold, he represented the buyer and she was not aware that anyone was occupying that property when she bought it. On Sept 30th he let me know that someone else is willing to pay the entire $950 and Tommy is insisting that I move because it would be better for him. Tommy says since I didn't sign a contract I don't have a right to be here and that giving me 30 day notice is sufficient since without a contract we are automatically on a month to month basis. I think the emails and texts show we have an "agreement" although it is not in the form of a formal document. Tommy said he will be here on Friday (10/30) to change the locks. I have told him I think he is wrong and I don't want to move. There has been no formal eviction served to me. I don't believe the actual owner/landlord of the office building knows what is going on. I think Tommy, the sub-letter has gone to the owner and let it be known that someone is willing to assume his lease and that is acceptable. I believe the new person has signed a lease with the owner without telling him that I currently am here and have a dispute with Tommy. What do I do if they come to change the locks? Most likely they will have the owners permission because he doesn't know I am here, he just thinks that a new guy is taking over the lease and that Tommy is getting out of the lease. Do I have an agreement via my correspondence with Tommy that can be enforced? After getting to know Tommy I am not so sure he even has the right to sublet to me. The owner of the building is an attorney, Don Parker of Jonesboro, AR. Please advise. Thank you, Sharon Cooper 870-340-6809

Hannah Benge

Friday 30th of October 2020

We can't speak to legal advice, but there definitely are resources you can look at to receive legal help This may help you find someone who can provide answers-Hannah