Got DC EBT? If you’ve got food stamps in Washington DC, you may be surprised at all the amazing freebies and deals you may qualify for. From discounted Amazon Prime, $5/month internet and low-cost zoo admission, you need to know about this!
6 Things You Need to Know about DC EBT
After years of reporting on food stamps issues, I’ve learned there are some common misunderstandings about food stamps and how they work.
- Apply for DC EBT online. It’s easy and convenient! If you don’t have EBT yet, apply now!
- You can buy fruit trees. It’s true! You can buy much more than just groceries. You can buy seeds and produce-bearing plants with your DC food stamps card! You can also buy certain gift baskets and birthday cakes. Here are some other surprising things you can buy with food stamps.
- Shop smart. You may be able to get more food for your money at farmer’s markets and You-Pick Strawberry Fields!
- You may be eligible for more food stamps. The algorithm is complicated and sometimes mistakes are made. Many people aren’t getting the right amount.
- You can get cash back (it’s legal)! With smart shopping techniques, you can put cash back in your pocket when you shop with EBT. Here’s how.
- You can shop at many places. Sure, you can spend your food stamps at the grocery store down the street… but you may be able to get better deals from places like Costco, Schwan’s and even Community Supported Agriculture programs! Some retailers, such as Farmer’s Markets, often offer double-up programs where you can get twice as much food as you pay for. Here’s where you can shop with EBT.
- You can use your EBT card in other states! Not only can you shop in other states, you can also get EBT discounts in other states. All of our state lists use green titles to indicate what venues accept out-of-state EBT cards for discounts.
7+ DC EBT Discounts
An EBT card in DC can unlock some amazing savings! We’ve found freebies and deals for everyone with food stamps.
50% off Amazon Prime
Amazon offers discounted Amazon Prime memberships for customers who receive EBT or Medicaid benefits! Amazon Prime includes FREE two-day shipping and FREE streaming access to thousands of titles. Get your Amazon Prime discount here!
Internet for just $5 per month?! It’s true! We’ve found a series of low income Internet discounts from providers like Comcast, CenturyLink, AT&T, Cox Communications and more!
Free Cell Phones & Service
Free cell phones and free monthly cell phone service may also be available to you. This list of nationwide providers will reveal the best offer in your area.
Free Farmer’s Market Produce
Many DC Farmer’s Markets offer a free $10 incentive for shoppers with DC EBT.
YMCA organizations typically offer discounts for low income individuals and families. Contact your local YMCA for details.
If you’ve got a DC EBT card, then you may also be eligible for these assistance programs:
- Homebuyer assistance programs (including down payment assistance, Habitat for Humanity, Dollar Homes and more!)
- Legal aid
- Property tax exemptions
- Student loan assistance ($0 per month payments!)
- Summer meals (free for kids ages 18 and under!)
- Tax filing assistance
- Utility assistance(help paying electric bills, free weatherization assistance and more!)
- Pet care assistance (veterinary care grants, free pet food, free boarding and more!)
Get museum discounts with your DC EBT card!
It is important to remember that you cannot pay for admission with your food stamps funds. You will show your DC EBT card to receive the discount but you will need to pay the remaining admission price, if any, in cash or with a credit/debit card.
You can use out-of-state EBT cards in some cases. All venues with green titles accept out-of-state EBT cards! Check our other state lists to see what your DC EBT card can do!
Georgetown Heritage – Discount unclear
Georgetown Heritage was previously listed as a Museums for All member but has been removed from the list. It is not clear if they offer a DC EBT discount at this time.
International Spy Museum – $3 per person
Learn about the exciting world of spies at the International Spy Museum! The Museum will teach you about cover identities, spy skills, spy history and villains. Interactive spy experiences are also available.
Visit the museum for just $3 per person. There is a limit of 4 discounts per EBT card, but guests under age 6 are free. As a Museums for All member, the International Spy Museum honors EBT cards from all 50 states!
Museum of the Bible – $3 or less per person
The Museum of the Bible has interactive exhibits that help people experience the Bible in different ways. They have joined Museums for All but they haven’t displayed discount information on their website yet.
National Building Museum – FREE
The National Building Museum welcomes guests for FREE when you can show your SNAP EBT card! Up to four guests per card.
National Children’s Museum – $3 per person
If you’ve got EBT benefits, you can submit a request online to receive the Museums for All discount rate. You can receive up to four tickets for $3 each. A ticket is required for all guests over 1 year old. Unlike other Museums for All entry programs, you will need to register at least one week before you intend to visit. You can make your request using this form on their website.