Skip to Content

Need Help Paying Rent in Tacoma?

Need Help Paying Rent in Tacoma?

Need help paying rent in Tacoma, WA? Paying rent can be difficult, even in the best of times… but Tacoma’s rapidly rising rents are making it difficult for many low income families to make their housing payments.

Many individuals and families are just one sickness or one emergency expense away from not being able to afford their own shelter. Fortunately, there are organizations and agencies available to help tenants in the Tacoma, Washington, area afford their rent.

help paying rent in Tacoma

Cash grants from DSHS can be used for rent!

DSHS offers many programs for Pierce County individuals and families. Please contact your local DSHS office for more information. There are two locations in Tacoma: the north location is at 1949 S State St Tacoma WA 98405 and the south location is at 1301 E 72 St Tacoma WA 98404.  Here are some available programs:

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is a monthly cash grant for eligible low-income families with minor children. Pregnant women and minors with children may also be eligible.
  • Emergency Needs (AREN) funds are also available for TANF/Workfirst Clients who qualify. AREN funds are limited to $750 every 12 months.
  • Aged Blind and Disabled (ABD) may assist seniors and people with long-term or permanent disabilities (including blindness) with some expenses. Income limits apply.
  • Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA) is a cash grant that is available to certain households with children.
  • The HEN Program provides housing vouchers for adults with short-term disabilities who meet certain requirements.
  • Pregnant Women’s Assistance is available for pregnant women who meet TANF requirements but are not eligible for some reason.
  • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) provides some funding for refugees who have arrived within the last eight months.

money 652560 960 720 for

Contact these agencies if you need help paying rent in Tacoma.

There are several agencies that assist both families and individuals who need help paying rent in Tacoma. These agencies all have their own rules and eligibility requirements, so it’s important to reach out to them directly for more information.

Helping Hand House

Helping Hand House provides rental assistance to Pierce County families with children. Contact Access Point 4 Housing at (253) 682-3401, or visit Coordinated Entry (CE) for a referral.

Living Access Support Alliance

Rental assistance is available to people who have received a 3 Day Pay or Vacate notice. However, intake is conducted through Access Point 4 Housing. Call (253) 682-3401 for a referral.

Salvation Army

If you need help paying rent in Tacoma, then contact the The Salvation Army! They provide rental assistance, emergency housing and so much more to Tacoma area residents. Contact (253) 572-8452 for more information.

St. Vincent de Paul

You may be able to get help paying rent from St. Vincent de Paul by calling their voicemail and leaving a message at (253) 970-7730.

Families Unlimited Network

Tacoma residents who reside in the 98466 zip code can receive assistance from FUN. Please contact them with any questions at (253) 460-3134.  Click here for more information.

Our Lady Queen of Heaven

If you reside in the 98387, 98445, and 98580 zip codes and need help paying rent in Tacoma, then you can receive assistance with rent and other needs from this organization. Contact the Church at (253) 537-5266 in order to learn more.

All Saints

This organization may offer rent assistance. Contact (253) 848-2000 in order to get more information.

St. Charles Borromeo Parish

The Parish offers emergency assistance, which may include rent assistance. Please contact (253) 564–5185 for more information.

Solid Ground

This organization does not provide financial assistance, but can help you understand your rights as a renter. If you need eviction assistance or victim resources, then they can assist with that also. Visit their website or leave them a message at (206) 694-6767.

American Legion

ACTIVE MILITARY who have been affected by either Operation Iraqi Freedom or America’s war on terror can receive assistance with rent (or utilities, child care or car repair) from the American Legion. Call (800) 504-4098 in order to learn more.

Army Emergency Relief

Active military (not National Guard) can receive assistance from the AER program on Joint Base Lewis-McChord. This program can provide emergency assistance for rent through either a grant or no-interest loan. Clients are seen on a walk-in basis at Building 2140.

Operation First Response

If you are a veteran or active duty military servicemember who is wounded, ill or injured, then you may be able to receive assistance from OFR. They will give the money directly to your landlord. Please call (800) 289-0280 or email [email protected] for more information.

Operation Homefront

Both veterans and active duty military can receive assistance with rent. Please call (877) 264-3968 or email [email protected] in order to get details.

Operation Ward 57

Veterans, specifically wounded post-9/11 veterans or their caregivers, may apply for a $500 grant. The assistance will be paid directly to the landlord. You can apply online.

Cancer Lifeline

CANCER PATIENTS may be able to receive financial assistance within three months of their treatment. The Lifeline assists with rent, mortgages, utilities, food, transportation, dental care, child care, medical supplies and more. Patients must have a household income that is at or below 250% of the federal poverty level. Contact them at (206) 832-1282.

MSHH Donor Closet

Patients with MS or MS-type diseases may receive assistance from the MSHH Donor Closet. The organization does not provide long-term support but may assist in emergencies. Contact them at (425) 712-1807 for more information.

National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Patients with MS can be helped by the Greater Northwest Chapter of the NMSS. Clients must provide proof of an MS diagnosis. Please call (800) 344-4867 extension 1 for more information.

MusiCares Foundation

Do you have either five years of professional music experience or six credited contributions to commercially released recordings or videos? If so, you may be able to receive assistance from MusiCares Foundation. The foundation assists with rent, prescriptions and other needs.

Contact them at (800) 687-4227 and leave a message. They return calls within 48 hours.

Still need help paying rent?

Access Point 4 Housing coordinates many of Tacoma’s housing programs. Contact them today at (253) 682-3401 to find out what kind of help their partner agencies can offer you.

Get MORE help in Washington State!

Nicole leads the Low Income Relief team with over 20 years of professional research and writing experience. Nicole started Low Income Relief after a personal experience with poverty. When her husband was medically discharged from the US Army, their family experienced tremendous financial hardship. Nicole was able to gather help from multiple community agencies and move into a nearby low income housing unit in just two weeks! Since then, Nicole has been dedicated to helping low income families in crisis. She regularly spends hundreds of hours combing through countless resources to make sure that Low Income Relief has the most comprehensive and complete resource directories on the internet today. Prior to starting Low Income Relief, Nicole worked as a novelist, journalist, ghostwriter and content creator. Her work has been featured in various print and online publications, including USA Today, eHow, Livestrong, Legal Beagle, The Daily Herald, The Chronicle and more.


Thursday 21st of February 2019

I am looking for low income, senior, handicap accessible housing in Lewis County, Wa, in the Chehalis/Centralia area. My total Social Security income is $960 per month. I have no other income. I'm totally lost trying to navigate the system. I'd take housing that's not handicapped accessible if it's on the ground floor. I've been trying hard for a long time. Many thanks.

Riley Thomson

Saturday 23rd of February 2019

Jeanne, Have you tried for more resources in your area? -Riley


Tuesday 16th of January 2018


I tried calling the LASA rental Assistance, they had an add out to call between 12pm - 2pm. I called every minute until I got through at 12:30pm. They told me the call 30 calls, got 30 people and they aren't taken anymore. I asked, but your add was set for 2pm? She said it was place that way incase no one called.

I been out of work for 3 months, just got hired on Dec 26th at a part time job and I had a job interview today 1/16/2018. It is good opportunity, but it is a long shot. I will be staying with the job I have until I am heard else where as a full time employee. I will have Feb rent, I just need catching up so I don't loose my home.

I even have a gofundme too, but I am running out of options.

Can you help?


Tuesday 30th of January 2018

Hi, Shels! I wish I could help but I can't link to GoFundMe pages from this website. However, the United Way may be able to help you find funding sources that can help. You can contact them by dialing 211 or (877) 211-9274. You can also visit their website by clicking here.


Wednesday 31st of May 2017

Ive called so many places and zero help( I am pregnant with a 8 month old and 9 year old.) Most of these numbers don't help.


Thursday 20th of July 2017

I'm sorry, Rebecca! This map & list includes every agency I've found that can help with housing expenses in Tacoma.

Chris Hraves

Monday 27th of March 2017

Well thanks so much for doing this. After being illegally thrown in the streets and denied my final pay by a woman I was working for while I was renting a room from her I find myself one step away from the streets. No food. No money. Thousands miles from everything that I know. I find myself scared to death! I'm hoping I can find emergency help through your information and then maybe assistance getting into a permanent place as well. Thank you!


Monday 27th of March 2017

I'm happy to help, Chris! If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know! :)