You can do so much more than just check out books and DVDs with your Houston County Public Library card. You can also stream movies for free, download music, e-books and audio books and so much more! You can even check-out a laptop for use within the library!
Even if you’re not that into reading the books at the library, the Book Hunters might change your mind! Just fill out the reader profile and the expert librarians at Harris County Public Library will develop a list of books tailored to your interests.
Download free movies, audio books, e-books and more!
The Harris County Public Library has partnered with online content providers like Hoopla to provide movies, music, audio books and e-books to library card holders.
- Stream free movies from Hoopla and Overdrive
- Download free music from Overdrive, Hoopla,
- Get free audio books from Overdrive, One Click Digital, Hoopla,
- Download free e-Books from Overdrive, Hoopla, EBSCO eBook Collection, Safari Books online, Tumble Book Library, e-Libro and more.
- Download free magazines from Flipster. Your patron ID is your library number!
- Get free exclusive access to databases such as Chilton Library (auto repair), World Cat, e-Libro, Learning Express Library, Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center, Home Improvement Reference Center, Pro Citizen, Heritage Quest Online, Explora, Master File and more.
Use a 3D printer, laser cutter and more in the Jocelyn H. Lee Innovation Lab!
Harris County Public Library has an incredible Makerspace at the Clear Lake City-County Freeman Branch Library. You’ll find some amazing tech in this free, community space.
In order to use some of their advanced machines, such as the 3D printer, you’ll be expected to attend an orientation to familiarize yourself with the equipment. Classes are free!
Patrons of all ages are invited to learn, share and create at the Lab. From simple circuits to computer programming, there are some incredible and fun tools available here!
Among other things, the Harris County Public Library offers:
- 3D Printing (up to 2 ft x 2 ft x 2f volume)
- Laser cutting and etching
- Desktop CNC
- Signet dual-channel oscilloscope
- Dremel rotary tool workstation
- Soldering station
- Arduino-compatible development kits
- Raspberry Pi development kits
- MIDI controllers
- Professional microphones and headphones
- DSLR camera (with video)
- Green screens
- VHS/DVD converter
- Autodesk Product design suite
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Simplify 3D
- and so much more!
Got kids? They’ll love these the Harris County Public Library!
Book Buddies invites children and volunteers to share the joy of reading. Children who are in Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade or 3rd grade can register for this weekly program.
Teens have access to special library resources, too.
FREE ADMISSION to the Museum of Fine Arts (Houston) on weekends for visitors age 18 and younger who have a valid library card from any Texas library!
Struggling to learn English?
The library offers literacy programs for youth and adults. Some classes are tailored to fluent English speakers and others are designed to assist with English Language Acquisition (ELA) for speakers of other languages. Citizenship classes,