Sure, you know you can check out books at the San Diego Public Library… but did you know you can get free admission to museums and use 3D printers there, too?! We’ve uncovered all the secret perks that you can get with a San Diego Public Library card and we’ve got all the details below!
- Advertisements -
Here are a few reasons why I love the San Diego Public Library:
- Innovation Lab
- Museum Passes
- Online Downloads
- and so much more!
Create in the Innovation Lab!
The Innovation Lab is located on the third floor of the Central Library. There, you’ll find 3D printers, vinyl cutters, sewing machines, embroidery machines, milling machines, laser cutters and more! You’ll even be able to participate in workshops and classes to help you learn how to use many of these devices.
For more information, please select the appropriate link for hours and required materials. Please note that all these services are currently FREE but this is subject to change.
- 3D Printing and Scanning
- Silhouette Cameos & Vinyl Cutter
- Sewing & Embroidery Machines
- Milling Machines
- Laser Cutter
- Maker Classes & Workshops
Get FREE museum passes from the San Diego Public Library!
The San Diego Public Library offers circulating memberships to three San Diego destinations. Just “check out” a pass from your local library branch and enjoy!
- Visit The New Children’s Museum for 10 days with a library membership! You’ll get free admission for two adults and all the children in your household for 10 days.
- Visit the San Diego Museum of Art for 14 days with a Check it Out! packet from your local library. You’ll receive free admission for two adults and up to four children under the age of 18. However, the San Diego Museum of Art website indicates that children 17 and younger are always FREE so you can probably take more kids with you.
- Visit the San Diego Museum of Man for 14 days with a library pass. You’ll explore 4 million years of evolutionary history, including mummies and Maya monuments. This pass provides free admission for two adults and up to four children. Children under 3 are always free. The pass also provides discounts in the store and on special ticketed events.
Stream free movies, audio books, e-books and more!
- Stream FREE online videos from Overdrive.
- Access free e-Books and audio books from Overdrive, Cloud Library, BookFlix, Gale Virtual Reference Library, and One Click Digital.
- Access digital newspapers with Zinio. You’ll find popular titles like Popular Science, Cosmopolitan, Martha Stewart, Every Day with Rachel Ray, National Geographic and so much more!
- Get FREE exclusive subscription databases like Academic Journals, MedLine, The New York Times and more.
Learn new skills with online and offline library resources!
Prepare for the ACT, SAT, ASVAB and more with the courses, eBooks and practice tests available from this subscription service.
- Sponsored Links -
Improve academics and employment skills with help from the Brainfuse Adult Learning Center! With your library card credentials, you’ll have FREE access to live online job coaching, test preparation (such as GED and US Citizenship Test) and academic skill building sessions with live online tutors!
Learn a new hobby, job skill or career path with Gale Courses! These online courses are completely free with your library card credentials. You’ll find free courses in accounting, finance, business, computer applications, design, composition, healthcare, language, arts, law, personal development, education, technology, writing and publishing.
Get help at the San Diego Library!
Find a job with help from the library! Use their technology and receive assistance with your job search, resume, interview skills and more. You can also get live online job coaching from Brainfuse!
File your taxes free at certain branch locations during certain times. For more information, please see the San Diego Library website.
Earn an accredited high school diploma through the San Diego Public Library’s Career Online High School. You must be a San Diego resident and at least 19 years old to apply.
Improve your literacy skills with READ San Diego. Volunteer reading tutors are available during certain hours to help adults learn to read, write and improve their overall literacy. It is estimated that there are nearly half a million adults in San Diego who cannot read or write well enough to take care of their everyday tasks. Parents can even bring their children along to the Families for Literacy Program and they can learn together!
Disabled patrons can receive special services. The San Diego Library provides free mail delivery service to homebound library customers who are visually impaired or otherwise unable to use standard print materials. Disabled patrons are also invited to the Oliver McMillan I CAN! Center, which is specifically outfitted with assistive devices, private study rooms, e-readers, large print books, Braille books, Talking Books and other materials. You can even check out a Kindle e-Reader that will magnify text!
Kids & Teens get perks, too.
The Pauline Foster Teen Center is located on the second floor of the downtown Central Library. This beach-themed area provides a safe, enjoyable space for teens and features 14 computers, 2 study rooms, a media gaming room, on-site snack bar, comfy furniture, iPads and Chromebooks.
Admit One College Prep Academy helps youth between 8th and 11th grade jump-start their college admissions process.