If you’re receiving South Dakota food stamps, you could qualify for other helpful programs as well (including discounted Internet service)! Check out our list of South Dakota food stamps benefits below.
- Advertisements -
This post contains affiliate links.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
7 Things You Need to Know about EBT in South Dakota
I’ve been updating this list for years now, and I’ve learned quite a bit along the way. There are some things that many people don’t know about EBT in South Dakota!
- Apply for South Dakota food stamps online. I’ve had many people tell me that the only reason they don’t have food stamps is because they’re too embarrassed to go into the office. You can apply online and skip the lines!
- You can buy fruit trees. No joke – this is all part of the actual federal food stamps law. You can buy much more than just groceries. You can buy seeds and produce-bearing plants with your South Dakota food stamps card! You can also buy certain gift baskets and birthday cakes.
- Shop smart. You may be able to get more food for your money at farmer’s markets and You-Pick Strawberry Fields!
- You could qualify for more food stamps funds! We’ve found several ways that you can get more food stamps money each month. It’s all right there in the law! Some simple mistakes or oversights in the paperwork could cost you hundreds of dollars per month in food stamps funds. You can learn how to get the most food stamps benefits in this article.
- You can get cash back (it’s legal)! With smart shopping techniques, you can put cash back in your pocket when you shop with EBT. Here’s how.
- Shop at these retailers! Did you know that Costco can accept EBT benefits? Some retailers even give you discounts or free stuff if you shop there with your food stamps card!
- You can use your EBT card in other states! Not only can you shop in other states, you can also get EBT discounts in other states. All of our state lists use green titles to indicate what venues accept out-of-state EBT cards for discounts.
Wait — you can’t afford to miss this!
Amazon offers discounted Amazon Prime memberships for customers who receive EBT or Medicaid benefits! Amazon Prime includes FREE two-day shipping and FREE streaming access to thousands of titles. You’ll need to verify that you receive food stamps or Medicaid to get this incredible price.
Cell phones and service may be available FREE in your area!
Internet from Comcast, CenturyLink, AT&T and more for just $5-$10 per month?! It’s true! Click here to see all the discounted Internet programs you could qualify for.
- Sponsored Links -
Plant a garden! You can buy seeds and produce-bearing plants with your EBT card! It’s actually part of the federal food stamps law.
Power companies often have low income programs, including special low rates or free home improvement services! We received over $18,000 in free home improvements through these programs.
Property tax exemptions are often available for low income seniors and disabled veterans! For more info on what it is and how to apply, contact your local county assessor’s office. We even received a refund for the last two years of property taxes!
Student loan payments could be as low as ZERO dollars per month with an income based repayment plan!
Summer food services offer free meals for children 18 and under during the summer months when free and low-cost school meals aren’t available.
Veterinary care assistance is available! If you have a pet, you need to know about these agencies that may be able to assist with your pet’s vet bills.
YMCA organizations often have discounts for low income families! Contact your local YMCA for details.
Get discounted admission with South Dakota food stamps!
For your convenience, we’ve organized our free and discounted museum admission list alphabetically by city. Museums with green titles are Museums for All participants. These venues accept EBT cards from all 50 states, so you don’t have to be a South Dakota resident to get these great deals!
It is important to remember that you cannot pay for admission with your South Dakota food stamps card. You will show the EBT card to receive the discount but you will need to pay the remaining admission price, if any, in cash or with a credit/debit card.
Children’s Museum of South Dakota – $1 per person
If you are receiving SNAP benefits or any kind of income-related assistance (including CHIP, Medicaid, free/reduced school lunches, Head Start, WIC, LIHEAP or TANF), you and 5 guests can visit the Children’s Museum of South Dakota for just $1.
Plan on visiting often? Spend $15 and get an Access Family Membership that offers unlimited museum admission for 2 adults, 6 children and 1 caregiver! For more information, please click here.
Browse the museum’s exciting exhibits, including Our Prarier, Imagine a House, Kidstreet and Sensations, by clicking here.
Adams Museum – Suggested Donations Only
Although Adams Museum doesn’t specifically offer EBT discounts, this museum does offer a “suggested donation” admission. This means that, although the museum would like to receive $5 per adults and $2 per child, they are willing to accept less if you can’t afford that rate. Pay what you can afford and explore the history of the Black Hills!
South Dakota Air & Space Museum – FREE
It’s not just an EBT benefit… the Air & Space Museum is free for everyone! Browse the exhibits and engage in fun-filled activities free of charge. The exhibits explore the history of aviation and inspire the future of aerospace.
Storybook Island – FREE
Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, Storybook Island invites children to experience the power of imagination. The park is filled with various sets and characters from children’s stories, fables and nursery rhymes. The park is free for everyone, not just EBT cardholders.
Museum of Geology – FREE
Since 1855, the museum has showcased an expanding collection of specimens of minerals, mammals, marine reptiles, fish and dinosaurs. The fluorescent mineral room, meteorites and time-specific dioramas bring history and geology to life. The museum is free for everyone, not just EBT cardholders.
Butterfly House & Aquarium – $3 per person
When you visit, you can stroll through a natural rain-forest and touch sea creatures! This is the only butterfly house or aquarium within hundreds of miles and it’s a great one.
Summer Swim Passes – FREE
Sioux Falls residents who receive food stamps (SNAP benefits) can receive a free season pass! The passes cover up to two adults and all dependents under age 18 (including step and foster children).
To qualify, you must provide photo ID, Dakota EBT card and proof of residential address.