If you need things to do in Sacramento, you don’t have to spend a lot of money. There are free museums and other things you can do while you’re visiting the city!
These are free things to do in Sacramento every day!
The California Foundry History Museum features mining equipment and old agricultural equipment. This is one of the things to do in Sacramento that truly gives a taste of what the city was like in the beginning and just how far it has come since then.
The California State Capitol Museum is in the state capitol building. It does not cost money to get in, but the hours might be limited due to government operations in the building. You can learn more about Sacramento and how it became the capital of California.
The Don and June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum is one of the unique things to do in Sacramento. You can learn more about the pharmacy and how it had an impact on the city. The museum also features cool medical artifacts and information about how the pharmaceutical field has come a long way.
The Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum is still set up just like it was when it was a functioning museum! You can visit the schoolhouse museum and learn more about the old days of education. The tour is short since it’s a small schoolhouse, but you can learn a lot in that time!
The Wells Fargo History Museum has two spots in Sacramento! You can visit the Wells Fargo museum in downtown Sacramento or you can visit the one in Old Sacramento. No matter which one you choose, you’ll be able to enjoy learning about Wells Fargo and the impact the bank has had on communities around the United States.
We found more things to do in Sacramento for free.
The Historic City Cemetery might not be the first place visitors think of checking out, but it has a lot of interesting information. You can take a tour of famous graves or just wander the peaceful paths.
The Jelly Belly Factory is one of the coolest free things to do in Sacramento. On the weekdays, you can get a free hat and take a free walking tour around the factory. Even though you won’t get free jelly beans on the tour, you can see how they’re made and buy some in the gift shop after.
The American River Bike Trail allows visitors to bike and see beautiful sights on the bank of the American River. You can enjoy the trail throughout the year.
Folsom Lake is a great place for a picnic and relaxing. You can visit Folsom Lake throughout the year and check out everything it has to offer in the surrounding park.
The Old Sacramento State Historic Park is one of the free things to do in Sacramento that allows you to enjoy the always mild climate. You can check out the historical information, visit the playgrounds outside or even pack a picnic!
Do these fun things on the weekend for free!
The second Saturday of each month, Sacramento does an art walk. You can enjoy work from various artists. You can also go into the galleries in town and get great deals on artwork while there!
Sacramento offers a free museum day.
Each year around the first Saturday in February, museums throughout the city open up for free so visitors can explore. These museums, which usually charge admission, offer free admission and some even do free events. You can visit one of these museums during the free days:
- The California Military Museum – features information on the military and offers you a chance to learn about how the military has had an impact on the state.
- The California State Indian Museum – offers a chance to explore and learn more information about the early beginnings of the state.
- The Crocker Art Museum – is a fun and immersive experience. The museum has permanent exhibits you can enjoy during the free days and temporary exhibits you can check out too!
- Sutter’s Fort – gives visitors a chance to learn more about the fort and more about the military influence on Sacramento.
- Fairytale Town – offers a fun chance for kids to let loose and have a good time. It’s a hands on experience that gives you a chance to learn and play.
- The Sacramento Zoo – provides free admission during the free museum days and features a lot of different animals you can learn more about while there.