Our site is ad-supported and this post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you complete a purchase using one of our links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more about our editorial and advertising policies.
How can we help you save money on your top New Year’s resolutions? We love helping you save money and get free stuff – and we know that January is the season of new beginnings, fresh starts and self-improvement. Of course we decided to research ways to help make your New Year’s resolutions easier and more affordable!
So, what are the top New Year’s resolutions?
In 2018, Inc. surveyed 2,000 people to discover what their New Year’s resolutions were. According to the survey, this is how people voted:
- Diet (or eat healthier)
- Exercise more
- Lose weight
- Save more and spend less
- Learn a new skill or hobby
- Quit smoking
- Read more
- Find another job
- Drink less alcohol
- Spend more time with family and friends
Unfortunately, only 8% of survey respondents said that they were successful in achieving their goals. Since I’m not very good at keeping mine, either, I assume this is fairly typical.
That’s okay, though. We’ve found some ways to make these top New Year’s resolutions even easier to keep!
It’s easier than ever to keep these top New Year’s resolutions!
A lot of these resolutions can be difficult or expensive to follow through with. Here’s what we’ve found to save money and make these commitments easier.
Top New Year’s Resolutions #1-3: Diet, Exercise & Weight Loss
According to the survey:
- 71% of survey respondents said they want to diet or eat healthier this year.
- 65% said they want to exercise more.
- 54% said they want to lose weight.
That’s a lot of people who want to start living a healthier lifestyle this year. Unfortunately, a healthy lifestyle can be a very daunting life change. It’s both physically and financially challenging.
We’ve found a few ways to help with this:
- 19+ Ways to Get a FREE Gym Pass
- 10 Tips for Losing Weight on a Budget
- Total Guide to Cheap Healthy Meals
Top New Year’s Resolution #4: Save More & Spend Less
This is one topic that we can definitely help with! The entire purpose of LowIncomeRelief.com is to help you save money and spend less.
Although there are literally hundreds of articles on the website that can help you, checking out our total budgeting guide is a great first step. It’ll show you how to track your expenses, discover ways to save money in your monthly budget, and make a monthly budget you can stick to.
Here’s a pro tip: Saving more and spending less are good goals, but they’re difficult to track. Deciding how much you want to save can help you determine if you’ve successfully met your resolution. Choosing an exact dollar figure can also help you stay motivated.
Top New Year’s Resolution #5: Learn a New Skill/Hobby and Read More
Learning a new skill or hobby doesn’t mean you have to take an expensive class. Your local library has some great resources for learning new skills – and I don’t mean books.
Many libraries around the country are adding fun community resources like 3D printers, recording studios and videography equipment. Some of them even have a Library of Things, which allow you to check out a drum set, sewing machine, GoPro cameras and more!
Top New Year’s Resolution #6: Quit Smoking
Smokers who need help quitting but can’t afford expensive treatments are often left in a lurch.
If you’re trying to quit smoking, please call 1-800-QUIT-NOW to be connected with a coach who will help you develop a quit plan. They can also connect you to low-cost community resources that can help you quit.
Spanish speakers can access the same service at 1-855-DÉJELO-YA.
Top New Year’s Resolution #7: Read More
If you want to read more, you already know that the library is a great resource. You can also pick up free Kindle books sometimes from Amazon.
Here are some other free resources:
- OpenCulture has over 1,000 free eBooks, audio books, videos and more!
- No time to go to the library? Use your library card to download eBooks and audiobooks without leaving home.
Top New Year’s Resolution #8: Find Another Job
Finding another job is a great New Year’s resolution! We are currently developing several tools that will help our readers find better work.
In the meantime, here are some resources we have that may help:
- 3 tips to nail your next interview
- 10 common entry-level jobs for immigrants
- Your library may offer free job training and certification resources
If you want to earn some extra money in your spare time, here are some additional resources:
- 5 sites that will pay you to write
- 12+ side hustles you can start today
- 30+ apps that will pay you to use them
Top New Year’s Resolution #9: Drink Less Alcohol
As a lifelong teetotaler, I don’t have a lot of experience with this. However, Harvard Health had some great ideas!
If you’re looking to drink less alcohol this year, try these tips:
- Put it in writing – and make a list of reasons why you want to do curb your alcohol consumption.
- Set a personal limit. Keep a drinking diary to make sure that you’re not exceeding that.
- Don’t keep alcohol in the house.
- Drink slowly – and never on an empty stomach.
- Ask for support from friends, family and coworkers. Watch out for peer pressure and avoid toxic influences!
Top New Year’s Resolutions #10: Spend More Time with Family and Friends
Although we can’t help you find the time, we can help you find ways to fill that time without spending a lot of money!
We have found a lot of free and cheap recreation opportunities, including:
- Dine out on a night that kids eat free!
- Enjoy a free treat on a National Food Holiday.
- Got EBT? Get museum discounts and more!
- Save money on National Parks and State Parks.
- Prepare for an incredible summer of endless fun!