Our power company, Puget Sound Energy, offers a number of options that can help renters and homeowners save money. When we bought our first house, our power bill was significantly higher than expected. Puget Sound Energy helped us make payment arrangements for our bill and arranged for a contractor to visit our home to offer specific cost-saving advice.
This program, called the HomePrint Assessment, is absolutely free. A contractor visited our home and gave us specific advice on how to save money. He also provided us with 20 free LED lightbulbs, two free high-performance showerheads and informed us that we’re eligible for a free washing machine through another one of PSE’s cost-saving programs.
Save money on your power bill with these options from PSE:
- A $10 power strip that prevents electronics from drawing excessive power when idle (plugged in but not in use). The power strip retails for $70, but PSE customers can order it for just $10 (and free shipping!) when they provide their account number. Not only will you save money on the power strip, but the power strip will help you reduce consumption and save money on your power bill!
- Free energy-efficient showerheads to help you use less water and save money on the electric bill. After all, it takes power to keep that water flowing!
- A free refrigerator or washing machine replacement for qualifying models. This is an excellent program but I’ve been told that sometimes you have to call in a few times in order to get it.
- Rebates to help lower the cost of heating, insulation, LED lighting, natural gas conversion, smart thermostats, water heaters, and windows.
- A free recycling program for light bulbs, refrigerators and freezers.
Puget Sound Energy is the largest utility provider in Washington State, serving over 1 million customers across eight counties. However, there are many other Washington State power companies that offer discounts, rebates and help for low-income customers.