Skip to Content

3 Programs to Help Pay for Vehicle Registration

3 Programs to Help Pay for Vehicle Registration

We’ve found programs to help pay for vehicle registration! If you need help with this, then you already know that vehicle registration is expensive. The costs of vehicle registration make it hard for low income households to safely and legally drive. This can make it difficult to go to work, go to school, buy groceries or really do anything at all.

Fortunately, there is help. Our team of researchers have spent a lot of time looking into this and we’ve found a few ways that you can get help with the high costs of vehicle registration.

Disabled veterans don’t need financial help with car registration – they get it free!

It’s true! When my husband was finally awarded a 100% rating through Individual Unemployability in October 2017, this was one of my very favorite perks. We never have to pay to register our car ever again!

AdobeStock 187220118 1 for

In Washington State, certain disabled veterans are eligible for a special Disabled American Veteran license plate. This plate can only be ordered through the mail from the Special Plate Unit in Olympia, WA. You have to submit a completed application and proof of your disability.

In order to be eligible for this, the veteran must meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • Be compensated at the 100% rate for a condition that is expected to exist for more than one year OR
  • Be blind in both eyes due to military service OR
  • Have lost the use of both hands or one foot

Washington State is not the only state that offers free vehicle registration to certain disabled veterans, either! I found this program in other states, too.

If you need financial help with car registration and you’re a veteran, pay special attention to this section. I’ve done a lot of research but sometimes the laws are confusing. Sometimes, they except the plate issuance fee, the registration and the taxes… but sometimes, it only waives one or two of those things. You will need to talk to your local county and state government for more information about the specific laws in your state.

Veterans rated 100% disabled are exempt from vehicle registration fees in the following states:

Veterans rated at least 60% disabled can receive free vehicle registration in these states:

Veterans rated at least 50% disabled are eligible for free vehicle registration in these states:

These states simply request a letter stating that you have a service-connected disability. It appears that there is no minimum disability rating requirement although other criteria may apply.

In some states, only veterans who have suffered from loss (or loss of use) of at least one hand, foot or eye can receive an exception. These state adhere to this strict standard:

Finally, these states are even more restrictive. In these areas, you must have received an adaptive vehicle or vehicle modification grant from the VA to qualify.

Iowa and Vermont will waive the license plate issuance fee but it does not appear that they waive registration costs.

Check for other exemptions and waivers.

Some states offer exemptions for other groups, also! Because these are so varied and time-consuming to research, you’ll need to look into your own state laws or call your vehicle registration office for this information.

Alabama provides free vehicle registration to active duty members of the United States Armed Forces, Alabama National Guard and Alabama State Guard. Members of the Alabama National Guard who served for 20 or more years can also get free registration.

In addition, Alabama also provides free vehicle registration to disabled veterans who resided in Alabama at the time they joined the military and are still Alabama residents when claiming the exemption.

The exemption also applies to:

  • Gold Star families who receive the “Alabama Gold Star Family” plate will also be exempt from registration fees.
  • Members of a volunteer rescue squad
  • Members of the Civil Air Patrol
  • Volunteer firefighters.

Challenge your vehicle’s value to negotiate a lower registration.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, there are several ways that states calculate the registration fees:

  • Flat rate
  • Age-based
  • Weight-based
  • Value-based
  • Other

There’s not much you can do to negotiate the flat-rate, age-based or weight-based calculations… but you may be able to negotiate a lower registration fee if you dispute the value of your vehicle.

According to NCSL, the following states have value-based registration systems:

  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota

In these states, you may be able to argue the stated value of your vehicle to negotiate lower fees.

Still need financial help with car registration? Read this!

There are agencies nationwide that can assist if you need financial help with car registration. These agencies are usually small local charities.

The easiest way to find them is to contact your local United Way Resource Directory. You can find yours at 

Does your state offer FREE low income auto insurance? Find out now!

Nicole is the owner and lead researcher for Low Income Relief. She has over 20 years of professional research and writing experience, and she has been solely dedicated to investigating low income topics for the last 10 years. Nicole started Low Income Relief after a personal experience with poverty. When her husband was medically discharged from the US Army, their family experienced tremendous financial hardship. Nicole was able to gather help from multiple community agencies and move into a nearby low income housing unit in just two weeks! Since then, Nicole has been dedicated to helping low income families in crisis. She regularly spends hundreds of hours combing through countless resources to make sure that Low Income Relief has the most comprehensive and complete resource directories on the internet today. Prior to starting Low Income Relief, Nicole worked as a novelist, journalist, ghostwriter and content creator. Her work has been featured in various print and online publications, including USA Today, The Daily Herald, The Chronicle and more. Her work has also been featured by Google for Publishers and other leading industry publications.

Tammy Phipps

Tuesday 31st of January 2023

It's raining here lot more than others it hard for me to come across tags and I need help please .. I get food stamps it's on renewal process's yes...

Tammy Phipps

Tuesday 31st of January 2023

Really I hope someone can help me or with my tags it's hard time since COVID-19

john trail

Thursday 12th of January 2023

i am a senor and i need help with my car registration it due on 01 15 2023 me and my wife go to the doctor all the time

Catherine Marucci

Thursday 12th of January 2023

Hi John. If you've already tried contacting the organizations mentioned above, it may be worth reaching out to 211 to see if they know of any other programs that you might qualify for.

Hazel Hussion

Tuesday 3rd of January 2023

My registration for my vehicle was due in October 2022 and I haven't been able to pay. Therefore, I can't drive my vehicle anymore which makes it difficult to get work. Do you know anyone who can help me please?

Catherine Marucci

Wednesday 4th of January 2023

Hi Hazel. If the programs listed above are not helpful, it may be worth calling 211 to see if they know of anything else you would be eligible for.

Michelle Rodriguez

Monday 12th of December 2022

I need help with my registration...I am homeless and disabled...And on a set income .My boyfriend bought a van so we had something to live in..Now he had a death in his family and had to leave the country...And I'm stuck having to move it every 3 days and keep getting tickets on it..I'm scared I'm gonna lose my place that I live in .Can anybody help me..

Catherine Marucci

Tuesday 13th of December 2022

Hi Michelle. If the above resources have not been helpful, it may be worth calling 211 to see if they know of any help in your area.