Skip to Content

Get Help with Your Electricity Bill in Oregon

Get Help with Your Electricity Bill in Oregon

Need to get help with your electricity bill in Oregon? You’re not alone! Many households are overburdened with expensive utility bills that they can’t afford to pay.


Fortunately, we’ve found several ways that you can get help with your electricity bill in Oregon! In this article, we’ll review the government programs and community assistance programs that can help you.

Government Programs

There are many government programs available to help you with your electricity bill in Oregon. These programs include LIHEAP and others.


The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program can provide a grant toward your electricity bill in Oregon. The money provided by this program does not have to be repaid. The checks are sent to your utility provider on your behalf. You can receive assistance from this program once per year.

In order to be eligible for this program, you must have an income that is at or below 60% of the state median income.


The funds for this program are distributed through Community Action Agencies, as listed below:

  • Access Building Community (Jackson County)
  • Clackamas County Social Services (Clackamas County)
  • Community Action (Washington County)
  • Community Action Program of East Central Oregon (Gilliam, Morrow, Umatilla, and Wheeler Counties)
  • Community Action Team Inc. (Clatsop, Columbia, and Tillamook Counties)
  • Community Connection of Northeast Oregon Inc. (Baker, Grant, Union, Wallowa Counties)
  • Community in Action (Harney & Malheur Counties)
  • Community Services Consortium (Benton, Lincoln, and Linn Counties)
  • Klamath & Lake Community Action Services (Klamath & Lake Counties)
  • Lane County Human Services Commission (Lane County)
  • Mid-Columbia Community Action Council (Hood River, Sherman & Wasco Counties)
  • Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency (Marion & Polk Counties)
  • Multnomah County Department of Human Services (Multnomah County)
  • Neighbor Impact (Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson Counties, and the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs)
  • Oregon Coast Community Action (Coos & Curry Counties)
  • United Community Action Network (Douglas & Josephine Counties)
  • Yamhill Community Action Partnership (Yamhill County)


The Oregon Energy Assistance Program is slightly different than LIHEAP. Instead of providing one-time annual assistance, OEAP steps in when you are in danger of having your utilities disconnected.

This program is only available to customers of Pacific Power and Portland General Electric. In order to receive assistance, you must meet income guidelines.

In order to receive OEAP funds, you must apply with your local Community Action Agency (listed above).

Weatherization Services

The Weatherization Assistance Program can help Oregon residents improve the energy-efficiency of their home, thereby reducing their future energy bills.

Among other things, this program can help you with:

  • Insulation
  • Furnace repair & replacement
  • Heating duct improvements
  • Minor home repairs

The program gives priority to helping low income households with children, people with disabilities, or seniors who are at least 60 years old.


Like other energy assistance funds, this program is usually administered by Community Action Agencies as well.

Help for Your Electricity Bill in Oregon

There are additional resources that can provide you with help for your electricity bill in Oregon. These are funded by churches, charities and nonprofits.

Oregon Energy Fund

The Oregon Energy Fund helps with electricity bills. They provide funds to over 30 partner agencies across the state, who then distribute those funds to those in need. To find a participating agency near you, enter your zip code on their website.

Catholic Community Services

There are Catholic Community Services locations throughout the state. Some, if not all, of them can provide help with your electricity bill in Oregon.

For example, Catholic Community Services of Lane County can assist with electricity bills in Oregon, as well as select other heating costs like wood pellets, propane, or natural gas. The SUB and EWEB programs operate year-round.

Catholic Community Services may be able to refer you to other organizations that can help, as well. For example, St. Joseph Shelter in Mount Angel may also provide emergency financial assistance with utilities and the only contact information I can find for them links to a CCS email address.


Congregations Helping People (Marion County)

Congregations Helping People in Salem may be able to provide financial assistance if you have a shut-off or disconnect notice. If your service is already disconnected, you can only receive partial assistance from this organization.

El Programa Hispano

This organization may be able to help you with your electricity bill in Oregon as long as your account is open and not closed. You You usually need a disconnection or shut-off notice in order to get assistance.

El Programa Hispano serves residents of Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington Counties.


There are many FISH locations throughout the state and many of them offer utility assistance. This is usually a limited, one-time payment that can be used to pay your electric, gas or water bill.

Some FISH partners set specific requirements. For example, in Albany, you can only get help once per lifetime… but FISH of Lebanon will allow you to receive help once per year.

Immigrant & Refugee Community Organization

IRCO provides emergency financial assistance with utilities to immigrants and refugees. They offer service in English, French, Swahili, Lingala, Kibembe and other languages.

Junction City Local Aid

Since 1945, Junction City Local Aid has offered food, clothing, medical prescription assistance, and energy assistance. They help more than 20% of Junction City school district residents every year!

Latino Network

Latino Network can provide assistance with heating fuel, gas, water payments and electricity bills in Oregon. Your income must fall below 60% of the state median income in order to qualify.

Naya Family Center

The NAYA Family Center serves low income Multnomah County residents with energy assistance, heating fuel and more. In order to receive assistance, you will need to call and schedule an appointment.

Northwest Human Services

The only time Northwest Human Services will provide help with an electricity bill in Oregon is when the applicant is a resident of Salem, has a 5-day shut off notice (or has already been shut off), and meets income guidelines.

Our Just Future

Our Just Future provides utility assistance to residents of Portland and east Multnomah County. It appears that they have multiple locations around the county to make it easier for you to receive assistance.

Polk County Resource Centers

Polk County Resource Centers provide emergency financial assistance, basic supplies, information and referrals at two different locations in the county. One is in Dallas and the other is in Monmouth.

The Center for Self-Enhancement

To receive assistance with an electricity bill in Oregon from The Center, you’ll need to first book an appointment. You can do this on their website or over the phone. When you arrive, you will need to submit all the necessary documentation.

You can receive help up to twice per year from this program as long as funding is available.

Silverton Area Community Aid

This organization provides many essential services, including assistance with rent, utilities, transportation, dental care, and more. If you live in the Silver Falls School District boundaries, you need to know about this!

St. Mary Catholic Church (Benton County)

St. Mary’s has an Assistance Fund that is designed to help people with utility bills, gas and rent. You will need to contact the Church to begin your application for assistance.

Upper Rogue Community Center

If you live in the Upper Rogue Area, you may be able to receive assistance with rent, utilities, food, clothing and even medical equipment from the Upper Rogue Community Center. This organization offers a wide variety of services that help low income residents!

Vina Moses Center

The Vina Moses Center is one of many organizations that can help you with your electricity bill in Oregon. However, they can also help you with free clothing, food, and assistance with rent, prescriptions and other needs as well.

We Care (Benton County)

We Care can provide assistance with rent, security deposits, utilities, small medical bills, minor car repairs, and other emergencies that require financial assistance. Priority is given to first-time applicants.

Help from Oregon Power Companies

Sometimes, even the power companies themselves can help you catch up on your electricity bill. It seems strange but we’ve found all sorts of bill pay assistance, payment arrangements and even grants from the companies that supply your energy needs.

More Resources

For more information that is specific to your area and company, please select your provider from the list of Oregon power companies below:


Clearly, there are many ways that you can get help with your electricity bill in Oregon! From government assistance programs to local charities, there are a lot of options available to you. Sometimes, even the companies themselves have resources that can help! The resources in this article can help you catch up on your past due bills and lower your bills going forward.