Skip to Content

Get Free Legal Aid in Alabama!

Get Free Legal Aid in Alabama!

Need free legal aid in Alabama? We’ve found resources that can help. Whether you need advice or full court representation, we’ve found several agencies that can help!


Have you heard of SoloSuit?

Being sued can be scary, but SoloSuit makes it easy to file an Answer. If you’ve received a Summons and Complaint, you can use the information on those forms to answer questions in the SoloSuit system. At the end, an Answer will be generated for you.

You can submit that Answer yourself or pay a small fee to have them file it for you. You can even have an attorney review your Answer!

love this service. I’ve used it myself and it’s very effective. You can get started with SoloSuit here.

How can I get free legal aid in Alabama?

There are several different agencies that can assist you, depending on your specific legal needs. In order to find the best one, read the descriptions below.


Legal Services Alabama

This organization provides assistance to all low income Alabama residents. They provide assistance in several ways, including civil legal representation, preventative law services, mediation and self-help legal materials.

Legal Services Alabama specializes in several areas, including:

  • domestic violence protection
  • public benefits claims
  • collections and debt issues
  • housing rights
  • elder abuse
  • age discrimination
  • taxpayer problems
  • disaster-related issues

Before you contact them, please be aware of their limitations. They do not assist with criminal cases or class action lawsuits. Although they assist tenants, they do not assist landlords with evictions. They also do not assist in matters where a private attorney may assist on a contingency basis.

In order to apply for their free legal aid in Alabama, you will need to either apply online or call their toll-free line at (866) 456-4995.

AdobeStock 110721192 for

Volunteer Lawyers Programs

These volunteer lawyer programs assist with landlord/tenant disputes, foreclosure prevention, uncontested divorces, paternity cases, child support and custody issues, adoption, bankruptcy, debt collection, small claims, public benefits appeals, employment issues, simple estate planning and more! These agencies provide some of the most helpful legal aid in Alabama.

There are several different programs around the state, so the office you need to contact will depend on what county you live in.

If you live in Baldwin, Clark, Mobile or Washington Counties, then you will need to contact the South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program. This organization works with over 885+ local volunteer attorneys to provide service throughout that region.


If you live in Jefferson County, then you will need to contact the  Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers ProgramTheir website indicates that over 500 attorneys have donated more than 6,000 pro bono hours per year. That’s over $2 million in free legal assistance for Jefferson County residents!

Madison County residents need to contact the Madison County Volunteer Lawyers ProgramThis program helps more than 1,000 people per year with free legal advice and representation! It is important to realize that they will not assist with traffic court, contested divorces, criminal matters or fee-generating cases.

Montgomery County residents need to contact the Montgomery Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers ProgramThis organization can assist with bankruptcy, child support modifications, collections, contracts, uncontested divorces, landlord/tenant issues, tax and more. They can be reached at (334) 265-0222.

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) 

The ACLU organization focuses on the protection of freedom throughout the United States. They have staffed affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington DC and Puerto Rico. In order to find the ACLU office near you, click here.

Don’t qualify for legal aid in Alabama? Try this!

If you do not qualify for free legal aid, then you may still qualify for low-cost legal help. If you contact the Alabama State Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 392-5660, you can be connected with a lawyer that will not charge more than $50 for the first 30 minute consultation.

You can also use the self-help forms provided by the Alabama Legal Help website. They provide instructions that can help you fill out your own forms with confidence.


Need more help in Alabama?

Kathy Bridgmon

Saturday 8th of July 2023

Need help with a minors name change with poverty level income

Catherine Marucci

Saturday 8th of July 2023

Hi Kathy. If Legal Aid hasn't been able to help, it may be worth calling 211 to see if there are any low-income services in your area that can assist. Depending on the reason for the name change, some organizations may be able to cover the cost.

Stephanie Moore

Wednesday 14th of June 2023

I need legal aid in Morgan county!!

Catherine Marucci

Wednesday 14th of June 2023

Hi Stephanie. You can start the process by calling (866) 456-4995.