Skip to Content

Get Financial Help with Your NV Electric Bill

Get Financial Help with Your NV Electric Bill

Overwhelmed by your NV electric bill? Utilities are getting more expensive by the day and it’s more important than ever to know where to go to get help when you can’t pay your bill.


In this article, we’ll review some statewide assistance programs as well as a list of local charities that can help you pay your NV electric bill.

Nevada Electric Bill Assistance Programs

Nevada has a few different programs that can help you pay your electric bill, regardless of what utility provider you use. Whether you’re a customer of NV Energy or another supplier, you should be able to get help from these programs.

Energy Assistance Program (EAP)

The state operates an Energy Assistance Program that can provide a once-per-year credit toward your NV electric bill. The money from this program comes from the federal LIHEAP program and the funds gathered through Nevada’s Universal Energy Charge (UEC).

This program operates annually. You can get help from this program every single year as long as you are eligible.


In order to be eligible, you must meet these requirements:

  • You must live in Nevada.
  • You must meet citizenship requirements.
  • You must have a household income that does not exceed 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.
  • You must be at least partially responsible for paying your home heating or cooling costs. If you pay a utility company, fuel supplier, or landlord for your utilities, then you are probably eligible.

However, there is a catch. The program opens applications on July 1st every year. The state will continue accepting applications until June 30th or until the funds run out. The money is available on a first-come, first-served basis, so you’re more likely to get help if you apply right away after applications open.

You can download a printable application from the Nevada DWSS website.

When you submit the application, you will need to include some documentation to prove that you are eligible. This documentation may include:

  • Proof of income for all household members for the last 30 days
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Proof of residency (a lease or mortgage statement)
  • Proof of utility costs

Please note that if you do not make enough money to cover your household expenses, you will need to provide proof about how you are meeting your needs.

If you would like help with your application, you can visit one of the state’s Welfare & Supportive Services Intake Sites for help.

Weatherization Assistance Program

The state’s Weatherization Assistance Program can help reduce the cost of your NV electric bill by cutting down on your energy usage! They do this by providing some home improvements that make your home more energy efficient.


This program can help you with many different improvements, including but not limited to:

  • Air conditioning repairs or replacements
  • Air leak sealing
  • Energy-efficient light bulbs
  • Heating system repairs or replacements
  • Insulation
  • Low-flow showerheads
  • Solar screens
  • Weather-stripping
  • Window repair or replacement
  • Wrapping pipes

In order to be eligible for this program, you must meet these requirements:

  • You must be a Nevada resident.
  • You must have a household income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
  • If you are renting, you will need your landlord (or property owner)’s approval.

To apply for this program, you need to reach out to the organization that serves your county. There are four different agencies that provide this service, depending on where you live.

AgencyPhoneCounties Served
Community Services Agency (CSA)775-786-6023Washoe County
HELP of Southern Nevada702-795-0575City of Henderson
City of Las Vegas
Southern Rural Clark County
Nevada Rural Housing Authority (NRHA)775-887-1795 ext. 112 (Northern)

702-660-5136 (Southern)
Carson City
Churchill County
Douglas County
Lyon County
Northern Rural Clark County (including North Las Vegas)
Storey County
Rural Nevada Development Corporation (RNDC)(775) 289-8519Elko County
Esmeralda County
Eureka County
Humboldt County
Lander County
Lincoln County
Mineral County
Nye County
Pershing County
White Pine County

County Rent & Utility Assistance

According to the United Way’s 211 resource directory for Nevada, it appears that most county governments have a department that offers assistance with utilities or rent.

In some counties, like Humboldt County, the department is called Human Services. In Nye, it’s Health and Human Services. In others like Elko County, it’s called Social Services.

Regardless, it’s worth contacting your county government to see if they have a fund available that can help you pay your NV electric bill.


Charities that Pay NV Electric Bills

In addition to financial assistance from state programs, you may also be able to get immediate financial assistance from local churches and charities to pay your NV electric bills. If you’re struggling to make ends meet, consider reaching out to these resources as well.

Aid for AIDS Nevada

If you are a Nevada resident living with AIDS, then you may be able to get financial help from Aid for AIDS Nevada. This organization can provide assistance with housing, utilities, move-in costs, eyeglasses, and supportive services like help getting IDs or birth certificates.

In order to get financial assistance, you need to work with a Medical Case Manager.

Carson City FISH

If you need help paying your current or past bills from SouthWest Gas or NV Energy, then FISH may be able to help you. In addition, they can also help with food, clothing, health care, laundry, dental assistance and vision assistance!

You can contact their Carson City location at 775-882-3474 or their Gardnerville location at 775-265-3474.

Emergency Aid of Boulder City

If you live in Boulder City, then you may be able to get help with your NV electric bill from Emergency Aid of Boulder City Inc. This organization provides financial help with utilities, food, rent, transportation, gas, auto repair, and medical helps.

Eligibility requirements vary depending on what type of assistance you need. You’ll need to contact their agency at (702) 293-0332 for assistance.

Project REACH

The United Way of Southern Nevada coordinates a program that helps low income seniors pay their utilities. This program can provide $300 per year toward the cost of your NV electric bill.

In order to be eligible, you must meet these requirements:

  • You must have a Nevada ID.
  • You must be at least 62 years old.
  • You must meet the income limits.
  • You must provide a copy of your utility bill.

If you are eligible, you can reach out to one of the United Way’s partner agencies to apply. The United Way has partnered with many different agencies to make this program as accessible as possible and they frequently hold Senior Expos to try to reach more seniors.

Here is a list of the United Way partners that can help you get $300 toward your utilities:

Asian Community Resource Center702-984-0015
East Valley Family Service702-631-7098 ext 1506
HopeLink of Southern Nevada702-556-0576
Las Vegas Indian Center702-657-5842
Lutheran Social Services of Nevada702-639-1730
Three Square702-765-4030
United Labor Agency of Nevada702-648-3500

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army in Mesquite offers electric assistance to those who live near Bunkerville and Mesquite. This organization can also assist with food, shelter and more.

Get Help with your NV Electric Bill

Some providers offer additional assistance programs and tools that can help you save money on your utilities. If you need help with your NV electric bill, choose your provider from the list below to discover some additional resources that can help.


There are many places you can turn for financial assistance with your NV electric bill. Whether you’re an NV Energy customer or not, you may be able to get help from EAP, WAP, and a selection of local charities that can help cover the cost of your bill. The resources in this article can help!